That was the question of the day today when we went looking for Mike's office. How hard could it be, right? We took the tude to Embankment Station, as PwC is at 1 Embankment Place. We walked around for over an hour looking for the office. Embankment Place is about the length of Greenbrook Drive, so how hard could it be to find? HARD. We remember that one of MIke's UK collegues said it was near Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square...so we went to both of them which weren't on Embankment Place...so we went back to Embankment Place, and there it was...was a couple of idiots! I swear, it was RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE TUBE! I'm not sure how we missed it. After we finally found it, we decided to go back Trafalgar Square b/c we might as well actually look at something, right? SO Trafalgar Sq is just that, a square with some statues in the middle of it. Nothing much to see...I did feel the urge to sing ... "Feed the birds, two pence a day...two pence, two pence, two pence at day" like the lady from Mary Poppins. What's funny is that Cousin Linda emailed me about a place called The Texas Embassy, which is a tex-mex restaurant, and we saw it there!
From here we went to Piccadilly Circus, which isn't much of a circus at all...it's more like Time's Square. AND the best part of it all....THERE'S A GAP! Granted men's jeans were about $100, and Mike's boxers were about $15, but I found the women's clothes to be quite comparably priced to those in the US!
We also went and checked out some neighborhoods we're interested in living...I think we both agreed that we like Fulham the best. They had the nicest Tube station in which there was a movie theater, Krispy Kreme, and Auntie Anne's Pretzels. We saw the pretzels and were sold! Other than that, it has a nice feel to it. There were lots of nice shops and a nice array of restaurants. We also looked at Putney which is across the Thames, which was also nice, but in Zone 3 so it would be a bit more expensive to commute to Mike's job in Zone 1. In Putney I did finally find Marks & Spencers...I was less than impressed. It kind of reminded me of Bradlees with a Supermarket...It even had that Bradlee's smell to it...and btw their knickers were nothing to get so excited about--they were like the kind you'd get in shoprite!
Now its around 6:00 and we're beat and back in our flat. While out and about today, we did some food shopping at Waitrose which was like a real supermarket. We found it in Fulham, we got some turkey, cheese and pretzels for lunch tomorrow.
Tomorrow we're off to check out some other neighborhoods including Notting Hill, Islington, and Kensington. I'll write more after tomorrow's adventure!
Saturday, August 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment