Today is Guy Fawkes Day. Who is Guy Fawkes and why does he have a day you may be asking? Well Guy (Guido) Fawkes was the mastermind behind a Roman Catholic plot to blow up the houses of Parliament and kill the king in 1605 by rolling a gunpowder keg into Parliament. This they thought would end Protestant rule! Unfortunately, the plot was unsuccessful, and people in England rejoice in the day.
What does this mean to two yanks living in London? Well, I can now say I can imagine what it was like to living in London during the 2nd world war. There are amateur fireworks going off all over the place! They aren't organized by the city or even the neighborhoods. There are just rogue displays going on all over the place! My brother Michael would be in his glory! AND no cops are chasing them! In trying to describe this, it's not like the fireworks you get at "South of the Border" driving down I95, these are serious shells! And they're really loud. We're actually wondering how long it's going to last as this has been going on since last weekend! Today is Guy Fawkes Day, so we're thinking it will be over shortly--hopefully! Walking to the gym today, I really could have thought there was an air raid going on if I didn't know any better!
Monday, November 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment