Saturday, September 1, 2007

Just a spoonful of sugar...

Helps the medicine go down, medicine go dow-own, medicine go down! Last night we went to see Mary Poppins in the West End which is London's answer to Broadway. I liked it, but Mike wasn't impressed. I think that he's just spoiled though! Honestly, I thought the effects were good! Mary flew in with her umbrella and they really flew kites, and Burt even tap dances on the ceiling! It was certainly worth the 1/2 price tickets. We're hoping to take advantage of that often!

Today I brought Mike to CarGiant. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled about the area it was in, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't my imagination, and sure enough it wasn't. Mike says that the area reminds him of Newark, where it's more than likely you'll get robbed at least once a year. So that put the kabosh on that job. I was supposed to go and have a 2nd interview on Tuesday, but I'm going to call the recruiter and cancel. I guess there's really 2 things about a job that makes it worthwhile...the location and the task. This one, that task was good, but location bad. I'm willing to compromise on both, but not when it comes to safety! It's probably better anyway. We move into our flat in exactly 13 days and I really want to get it set up like home...and being home will help me do that! I'm sure something will come up though!

After that we were supposed to take a walking tour, but alot of the tube lines were closed for maintenance, so we missed the tour, but we went to the Tower of London anyway. There we saw the REAL crown jewels, and the world's largest diamond--well, until they found that one in the Congo this week. Mike was saying that he really wasn't very impressed with the clarity of it, but I suppose when it's 52 carats, it's tough to find NO flaws!

Today we also booked our trip to Amsterdam for my birthday. We're going the week before it as it was a lot cheaper than the week after. We're staying in a hotel right next to Ann Frank's house...I love that! I've decided that my souvenir there will be wooden clogs...not to wear of course, I get blisters from everything--the last thing I need is splinters on top of it! No, I'd like to just put them on a shelf. They also have a really cool Christmas shop there from what I read, so maybe I'll get some unique ornaments. We're excited to get out of the UK for a bit the Euro is doing nearly as poorly as the dollar, so our British pounds will go far!

We're in for the night tonight, just chilling out. Mike actually went to the local store to buy some diet coke and came back with 2 six packs of beer, so I guess SOMEONE is planning on getting a little wasted tonight! Tomorrow we're thinking of trying the walking tour again, but from what we understand there's still going to be working on the tube so maybe we'll try to do one of the local ones.

No comments: