Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Country 'Tis of Thee...God Save the Queen....

Did you know the songs were one in the same??? Today during the Rugby World Cup Final, the entire bar broke out into song when God Save The Queen came on. Mike and I too broke into song, but to another song all together. We sang "My Country 'Tis of Thee"...same tune...we got a few strange looks, but it was totally fun belting out "LET FREEDOM RING" rather than "God Save the Queen"! Another funny thing about the English Rugby team anthems was that one of them was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot". I said to Mike, "Isn't this a slave song". He didn't know what I was talking about, but I knew I was right. Later on in the night, another American standing next to us was saying the same thing! I KNEW I WAS RIGHT! Mom and Dad paid for a History Degree for a reason! We were all laughing about how the English wanted to "Carry Me Home". The other American said he even asked an Englishman why he had a slave song as an anthem, and he couldn't even say why. The English don't even know it's a slave song!

MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE
SWEET LAND OF LIBERTY
LET FREEDOM RING.

LAND WHERE MY FATHERS DIED
LAND WHERE THE PILGRIMS CRIED
FROM EVERY MOUNTAINSIDE
LET FREEDOM RING!

No comments: