Thursday, January 3, 2008

1st Doctor Visit in the UK...

Well, if you can call it a "doctor" visit. This morning I went to the walk-in clinic in Parson's Green (about a half mile away). I was met by a nurse who informed me that there are no doctors there, just nurses. Great. So, the nurse did the regular nurse stuff, asking questions and what not. THEN, she asked me if I was a victim or if I knew anyone who was a victim of domestic violence! Do I look like a battered wife???? I guess my shock and awe came across on my face because she quickly said that she asked everyone that. The long and the short of it, she says that it's just got to run it's course and didn't prescribe anything. She said that I should inhale eucalyptus steam and drink lots of fluids. SUPER! I even told her that I would like her to prescribe me an antibiotic and a strong cough medicine, and she said that the strongest cough medicine is over the counter, and that I didn't need an antibiotic. Much to my dismay, I left the office with a pamphlet on how to make eucalyptus steam and had to take another trip to the bloody chemist to get more over the counter crap.

Apparently, as Americans we're overmedicated. Which, is probably true, but I know that if I'm under the weather, and I get a nice z-pack or amoxicillan, I'm good to go in a day or two! But as it's a viral infection and antibiotics don't kill viruses, I'm off to drink some orange juice and away I go!

In other news, Mike's sick now too. He's home from work today. So, now I have to be a nurse to boot!

AND, we're scheduled to get our first snow today! They say we should have a couple of inches this afternoon. We're getting winds from Siberia that are causing a major cold front! I must say, it was a bit nippy outside!

No comments: