Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'm conforming my cooking!!!

Steak and Ale pie is quickly becoming Mike's favorite British food---mine too if I'm being honest. You can even ask Drew and Cat...When they visited I think we had them for either lunch or dinner on more than a few of the days they were here! So, today I tried my hand at making one!

I went to the supermarket in search of a ready made pie shell. Shocker! They don't have those here, so I gathered the rest of my ingredients and came home to make my dough from scratch. I have to say that my pie came out fantastically and we had it for dinner tonight, Mike even had 3 helpings! Surprisingly it was easy to make and really very tasty. It would have be even easier had Pillsbury come to the UK with the wonderful ready made shell!

I'm putting the recipe here in case anyone would like to try it!

1.5 lbs. stew beef
1 onion chopped
1 can of lager
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 Tablespoons of flat leaf parsley chopped
2 Tablespoons of Worchesteshire Sauce
2 Tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of Thyme
1 potato peeled and chopped
1 carrot peeled and chopped

In a saucepan, put beef, onion and lager. Let this simmer for about 30 minutes (until beef is tender). Then add garlic, parsley, worchestshire sauce and thyme. Let this simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potato and carrot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is fork tender. Take out a small amount of the liquid and mix with flour. Add this to the pot and stir. Simmer for a few minutes until it thickens up.

Put the mixture into the pie shell and cover with the top crust. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes!


Easy Peasey!

Tomorrow I think I'm going to go to Wimbledon and check out the situation there. They are playing qualifying rounds and I just want to see what's up. It's not TERRIBLY far from our house, so I might as well see what all the hub bub is for. I looked into getting tickets next week, but they want 500 to 1000 GBP. Apparently, you can get day-of tickets, but you have to SLEEP OUT for them! SICK! But who knows, maybe Rafael Nadal will be roaming the grounds and I'll catch a glimpse!

The Euro Cup 2008 in in full action. We're actually getting really into football here. England hasn't qualified so we have been going game by game on who we're cheering for. Last night was Italy v. France, and Italy won! Tonight we're watching Sweden v. Russia. We're cheering on Sweden because they are part of NATO...This is our logic! LOL!

Other than that, our sights are set on our cruise which departs 9 days from today! Mike can't wait to have 2 whole weeks off from work!

No comments: