Thursday, December 13, 2007

Socialized Medicine is the DEVIL!

Last weekend, some of our expat friends told us their woes of getting a General Practitioner (GP) so I decided before we actually get sick, I should sign up with one. How it works here, in the land of socialized medicine, is that you have to sign up with a GP within a 2 miles zone of where you live. Then, that's the doctor you go to for everything. There's no Ear, Nose, and Throat Guy, or an OB/GYN or an orthopedic. So I went on the NHS (National Health Services) website and found a doctor in my zone. Called, and they told me I couldn't register because I hadn't been in the country yet for 6 months. I didn't think that was right, so I called the NHS...yep, I went right to the top! They told me that there was no such rule, and to call back the doctor. Well, after trying to impose my English politeness and later my American pushiness, I still wasn't registered. I then called the local Hammersmith and Fulham Health Authority and reported them. They suggested I try another doctor, which I did and they said I could CERTAINLY come in to register, and that the were open from 2-7 that day. I went at about 10 after 2 and was told that the office manager, the only person in the whole practice that can register someone was out that day. Wouldn't that have been some good information to tell me over the phone? So, now I'm going to try again today to get registered. We'll see how that goes...All I know is that I get strep throat at least once per year, and I better be registered by the time that hits me!

You know, people rave about this socialized medical system they have over here, and I suppose it is okay once you're in, but all I know is that in the states I wasn't limited geographically, and I could go to any doctor I wanted as long as they were covered under my policy. And even if they weren't covered under my policy, I could still go, I'd just have to pay for it! Honestly, I feel like it's almost like communist Russia, having to wait in line for a loaf of bread or something...

No comments: