Our 2nd Thanksgiving living abroad, and we decided not to go home this year. The previous year, it was all a bit too much with trying to see both families and friends and we even threw my high school reunion in there for good measure. Not to mention that the UK doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it truely is just taking extra days vacation for Mike.
Mike was working on Sony on Thanksgiving Day it was going to be a late one. I headed to High Street Kensington, home to Whole Foods and Sony Music (Simon wasn't in, I checked)I went to the Whole Foods buffet where they had roast turkey and all the fixin's. So I got enough for Mike's whole team...turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing,corn bread, apple pie, pumpkin pie ,etc. etc. I was even able to get one of those handy dandy keep warm bags to put it all in. Then I called Mike and dropped it off for him. His team was much appreciative, though they didn't undertand "corn bread". LOL! Since he was working late, I decided to make myself a turkey burger and make some phone calls to the fam. My mom and brother had decided to head to AC. It was Karen's year to spend with the Rotolas and without me being home, they said it wasn't worth celebrating. Good news was they both won! I also called Aunt Mart and the gang at the Canova's and had a very nice conversation with my cousins.
On Saturday, we had the McGuigan's over for Thanksgiving dinner. Nobody else was around, and the four of us gorged ourselves on a 20lb turkey. Here's the story behind the turkey...
Growing up, my mom always got a 20+lb turkey for Thanksgiving. It didn't matter if it was just the 5 of us, or a crowd, that's just what we always had. So, I went to my butcher shop and told the guy I needed to place an order for a turkey. There are a lot of Americans in the area, so he knew it was for "American Thanksgiving". When he asked me how big I needed it to be, I just naturally came out with 20lbs. He made a comment about how large it was and that I must be feeding a crowd. I didn't pay much mind.
When Mike got home that night, I told him I'd ordered the turkey and he asked how much it was. I didn't know but told him it couldn't be more than 25GBP. ($50), right? WRONG. On Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, I picked up a 63 GBP turkey---yes, that's $126!
It was a really nice "Kelly Gold" turkey and even came with a thermometer, and it tasted just lovely! It was a great meal--if I do say so myself, and I did mom proud with the stuffed mushroom appetizers and sausage stuffing! The four of us had a great time gorging ourselves on all the lovely American-ness on the table.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment