Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reflecting Back...

As our stint in the UK comes to a close, Mike and I have been reflecting on our time here in the UK. You see, for as much as the two of us bitch about living here, we do live pretty charmed lives on this side of the pond and it will be bittersweet to see our "tour of duty" end. The truth is, we live much more "normal" lives here than we do in America. Mike's home for dinner almost every night and very rarely has to work weekends. In America, if I had dinner with Mike once per week that was a lot and often was flying away on Sundays so our time together was limited. His work schedule, plus the family obligations and time with friends made it difficult for us to spend time with each other and here we've had nothing BUT each other, which has been nice!

To think of all the things we've seen and done while living here, the mind spins out of control. How many people can say they've walked with lions, been to the Eiffel Tower, Oktoberfest, Euro Disney, Dublin for St. Patty's Day, been in an ice storm in Prague, visited the Hermitage, skied the Alps, and visited EVERY Scandanavian country in a matter of 18 months? And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.



We've also made some very good friends that will be everywhere from Seattle to San Francisco to Rochester when we come home. Not being a few tube stops away from them will be tough. We've become each other's family here...acting as support when someone is homesick, celebrating life's moments with each other, etc. We see our friends here far more than we did our friends at home or even our family.



It will be nice to come home and start life over again. Right now, Mike's mom handles all of our mail and banking and I'm eager to take control of that again to get a grip on what's in our accounts, not have to send money home for the mortgage and really just let Lauren stop worrying about all of our nonsense. Our tenant has a lease that allows her to be in our home through the end of November, which is pretty difficult since it looks like we'll be home early in the summer. Living in temporary housing will be difficult, me finding a job will be difficult (although I have some feelers out already), but it will all be worth it in the end. We're (or should I say I'm) hoping to get out of the townhouse ASAP. Mike keeps telling me that the better the job I get, the quicker we're out! I'm not a big fan of Bedminster and especially the townhouse. It's so far from everything that's familiar to me and is SO Central Jersey! Bleh! I think I need to be further north with trees and hills and woods. I know, I know, pretty narrow minded of me, but in reality, it will be an easier commute for Mike to the city and closer to any job I'd consider! Christopher told my sister that I'm going to buy the house next door to them since it's up for sale. I love my nephews, and Randolph is a really nice town, but next door may be too close for comfort! Hahaha!

So what now? Well, we're kind of in Limbo. We're waiting to hear what Mike's official start date will be in America. There have been lots of dates discussed, but we're waiting to get something in writing before we get our hopes up or start making plans. We really want to take a kick ass trip at the end of this. It doesn't look like sailing the Queen Victoria is going to work our with dates, so we're thinking of going to Italy for a couple of weeks or doing a cruise so I can hit 2 of the countries I have left that I really want to see (Turkey and Greece). Actually, that's what I'm supposed to be doing now instead of writing this blog! LOL! Tomorrow I'm meeting Kialee for coffee to go over a "Bucket List" of things to do before we head home. Preliminary talks have had things like sticking an American flag in the Queens Lawn and getting kicked out of Harrods...Don't worry mom it was a joke! But seriously, I want to get to the Charles Dickens' Museum, walk across Tower Bridge, get to a cricket match, etc. We're going to make a list tomorrow and try and tackles some items every week.

I'll try and do better with keeping the blog updated, but life here is just pretty much status quo. Nothing really interesting to report at all!

No comments: